Weekend GP appointments are now available at a number of practices across Castle Point and Rochford to make it easier for patients to see a GP or nurse.
The service is being tested by NHS Castle Point and Rochford Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) as part of plans to provide access to GP services 7 days a week to everyone living in the locality.
Appointments are now available from two GP hubs in Canvey and Rayleigh. The service will offer access to a GP and nurse between 10am-3pm. Appointments need to be pre-booked but can be booked on the day. Patients should contact their GP practice in the normal way for more information.
Dr Mike Saad, Chair of NHS Castle Point and Rochford CCG said: “This is the first phase of our plan to provide 7 day access to GP appointments to patients living in Castle Point and Rochford. We will be monitoring the success of the service and would like to hear from patients who use the service to capture patient feedback. The future goal is to be able to offer weekend appointment to all residents. It is important to note that this is not a walk in service and people will need to book appointments. For all non-emergency healthcare advice, patients should call NHS 111, A&E is for life threatening conditions only.”
A patient who attended the weekend service said: “I was extremely grateful to be able to get this weekend appointment, as I have just returned from holiday on the Friday and would have had to wait until the Monday.”
The service will initially be available to patients in the below practices:
- Ashingdon Medical Centre
- Audley Mills Surgery
- Dr PK Chaudury, Central Canvey Primary Care Centre
- Essex Way Surgery
- Dr JB Ghauri
- The Grafton Surgery, Central Canvey Primary Care Centre
- Greensward Surgery
- Hart Road Surgery
- High Road Family Doctors
- The Hollies Surgery
- The Island Surgery, Central Canvey Primary Care Centre
- The New Health Centre
- Oaklands Surgery, Central Canvey Primary Care Centre
- The Puzey Family Practice
- Dr H Rahman
- Riverside Medical Centre
- Rushbottom Lane Surgery – Dr Khan and Partners
- Rushbottom Lane Surgery – Dr Baker and Partners
- Wakering Medical Centre
Out of Hours GP services for all GP practices can be accessed by ringing NHS 111.
Patients are also reminded:
- To keep a well-stocked medicine cabinet - most minor ailments can be dealt with at home
- If you are unwell and you’re not sure where to go, call NHS 111, a free service available 24 hours a day. They can provide clinical assessment and advice and direct you to the best health service for your ailment.
- Speak to your local pharmacist - they can recognise and resolve many common health issues
- Be mindful that sometimes symptoms can last longer than you think - sore throats can last an average of eight days
- Don’t forget, antibiotics don’t work on sore throats, coughs or colds